HMRC issues vital update as Britons could have payments stopped if they do not act

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) oversees a number of payments including tax credits and Child Benefit. As a result, it is reminding those eligible for these payments with a Post Office card account that they will need to act – as this method of withdrawing money is coming to an end. Around 24,000 customers will now need to update the Department with new payments details by November 30 – or risk having their payments stopped.

From December 1, HMRC is to stop making tax credits, Child Benefit and Guardian’s Allowance payments to Post Office card accounts.

Consequently, Britons will need to choose an alternative payment method to continue receiving the support they do at present.

Customers can choose to receive benefits and credits payments to a bank, building society or credit union account.

Some will already have an alternative account, and are therefore being encouraged to contact HMRC as soon as possible to update their details. 

READ MORE: Tax ranked: Cyprus beats UK as pensioners offered ‘double tax treaty’

If a customer does miss the deadline, the Revenue states their payments will be paused until new account details are provided.

For those looking for alternative options, the Money Advice and Pensions Service offers information and guidance on how to choose the right current account.

There are also details about how to open an account if a person has not undertaken this action in the past. 

HMRC has been writing to affected customers about the matter since October 2019.

The letters notified people that their Post Office accounts will be closing, and urged individuals to take action so their payments will not be affected.

Not all of those with Post Office card accounts will need to act within the November 30 time frame, though.

This is because in September 2021, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said it was extending the deadline for customers who use a Post Office card account.

State pension recipients as well as those who get certain benefits such as Universal Credit and PIP, have slightly longer to take action. 

The Department has organised a 12-month extension for individuals who receive payments from the DWP.

However, if any HMRC customers also receive DWP payments, they should be aware the extension only applies to DWP-related payments.

Child Benefit and Guardian’s Allowance customers can use their Personal Tax Account to provide revised account details – but they can also change their bank details on the Government’s official website.

Tax credits customers will be able to change bank account details by contacting the tax credits helpline. 

If customers cannot open a bank account, they should contact HMRC.

Stay connected with us on social media platform for instant update click here to join our  Twitter, & Facebook

We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.

For all the latest Business News Click Here 

 For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! TechAzi is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More