India vs Australia: Mohammed Siraj abused by Gabba crowd, called grub – Report
The reported incident happened a few days after Siraj was racially abused by spectators at the Sydney Cricket Ground on the third and fourth day of the drawn third Test. That had led to an expulsion of six people from the stands and an unreserved apology from Cricket Australia to the visiting team.
On Friday (January 15), a report in the ‘Sydney Morning Herald’ quoted a spectator as saying that a section of the crowd at the Gabba targetted Siraj.
“The guys behind me have been calling – shouting – both Washington and Siraj grubs,” a spectator named Kate was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
“It started targeted at Siraj and it was a chant similar to the SCG one (in which fans sung to the tune of Que Sera, Sera but substituted the lyrics with Que Shiraz, Shiraz).
India vs Australia: Spectators evicted from SCG for making racist remarks at India pacer Mohammed Siraj
“But this time it was Siraj. I suspect it’s not a coincidence that it’s Siraj being targeted post the SCG stuff.”
According to the newspaper, at one point, a man in the crowd was heard yelling, “Siraj, give us a wave, give us a wave, give us a wave. Siraj, you bloody grub.”
Play was halted during the Sydney Test for about 10 minutes after Siraj complained of racial abuse from a section of the crowd. The BCCI had also lodged a complaint with the match referee against the abuse.
India vs Australia: Bumrah and Siraj allegedly abused racially, BCCI lodges complaint with match referee
CA had promised strongest possible action against the offenders, which included the possibility of them being banned for life from the SCG.
The ICC had condemned the incidents of Indian players being subjected to racial abuse by the spectators and had sought an action-taken report from CA.
Former cricketers and current players like India captain Virat Kohli, Australia skipper Tim Paine and coach Justin Langer had also condemned the incidents at the SCG.
- India vs Australia 4th Test: Marnus Labuschagne hundred keeps Aussies ahead on Day 1
- India vs Australia, 4th Test, Day 1: Natarajan removes Wade for 45 before Labuschagne slams fifth ton
- India vs Australia 4th Test: Navdeep Saini under medical observation after complaining of groin pain
- India vs Australia: VVS Laxman, Tom Moody hail debutants T Natarajan, Washington Sundar
- India vs Australia, 4th Test: Kuldeep Yadav fails to make it to India XI in Gabba Test, Twitterati surprised
- India vs Australia: Natarajan, Washington Sundar make Test debuts; incredible turnaround for net bowlers
- India vs Australia, 4th Test Day 1: Smith-Labuschagne hold guard after openers fall cheaply; Oz 65/2 at lunch
- India vs Australia: Didn’t hear any complaints from India: Paine
- India vs Australia 4th Test: Dream11 Prediction, Fantasy Tips, Best Playing 11 Updates
- India vs Australia: Gambhir feels ‘overworked’ Bumrah should be given rest during England series
- Jasprit Bumrah fitness: India adopt wait and watch policy on pace spearhead’s availability
- India vs Australia: Art of being Shubman Gill! Batting guru Abhishek Nayar explains
Get breaking news alerts.
You have already subscribed
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Sports headlines.
For all the latest Sports News Click Here
For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News