India vs England 2021: “Boys helped me stay strong” – Leach on comeback after Pant hammering
Riding on Leach (4/76) and James Anderson’s (3/17) fine bowling, England crushed India by 227 runs in Chennai on Tuesday (February 9) to take a 1-0 lead in the four-match series.
Leach, who was taken to the task by a belligerent Pant on the third day, shone bright when the hosts came out to bat again.
“Thought he (Pant) was playing in the IPL. It’s a challenge that comes for a spinner. Was a tough evening that one but boys helped me stay strong,” Leach said after the match.
India vs England, Chennai Test: James Anderson dismisses Gill, Rahane, Pant to achieve another rare milestone
Coming from the extremely cold England, it wasn’t easy to get acclimatised to the humid conditions in this part of the world.
“Had a long time without any cricket (before the Sri Lanka series). It was about bowling those long overs in the heat.
“My first time in India. They have a great batting lineup and I knew the pressure that comes with it. Happy to take some wickets and get the boys over the line,” the 29-year-old spinner added at the end of the fifth and final day’s play.
India vs England, 1st Test, Day 5 Highlights: Anderson, Leach strike to lead visitors to memorable win
Set a world record 420-run target to go one up in the rubber on the fifth day, India were bowled out for 192 in the second session after captain Virat Kohli’s 72 off 104 balls on a challenging MA Chidambaram surface.
India began the day at 39 for one, needing 381 runs on the last day.
- Rahane still India’s most important Test batsman, says Kohli after humbling loss
- India vs England, 1st Test: Anderson’s double strike reminded me of Flintoff in 2005 Ashes: Root
- India vs England: Pant a “bundle of talent” in batting but in “cradle of wicket-keeping”: Kirmani
- India vs England: Analysis: How did Joe Root’s men overpower Virat Kohli’s bunch in the first Test at Chennai
- India vs England 2021, 1st Test: Reverse swing was huge for us, says Anderson
- India vs England, 1st Test: Joe Root admits Rishabh Pant fear in England delaying declaration
- Root hails Anderson as ‘the GOAT of English cricket’ after Chennai masterclass
- India vs England, 1st Test: Virat Kohli sees no logic in WTC table, India slip to 4th after Chennai defeat
- India vs England, 1st Test: Root lauds English bowlers for taking 20 wickets in alien conditions
- India vs England, 1st Test Statistical Highlights: Root, Anderson create history with win over Team India
- India vs England, 1st Test: Virat Kohli says batsmen’s effort left a lot to be desired
- Anderson and Leach seal emphatic victory for magnificent England
Get breaking news alerts.
You have already subscribed
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Sports headlines.
For all the latest Sports News Click Here
For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News