India vs England 2021: It’s all about confidence – Axar Patel on phenomenal Test outings
But Patel was unfazed as he knew, his time would come.
“I think it’s all about confidence,” said the 27-year-old from Anand in Gujarat who wanted to be a mechanical engineer growing up but was prodded into trying his hand at cricket by a school friend.
With his record 11 wickets in the day-night third Test against England, the left-arm spinner finally found his big moment in international cricket, seven years after he made his India debut in an ODI against Bangladesh.
— BCCI (@BCCI) February 26, 2021
Since that day, he has been in and out of the team with the spin all-rounder’s spot firmly with Ravindra Jadeja.
In this series too, he made it because Jadeja was out injured. He hadn’t been in the national team since 2018 and made his Test debut in the second game against England last week in Chennai.
“I have been out of the team for three years and at that time, I used to think about the areas of my game which need to be worked upon. So, I was working on my bowling and batting,” he told Hardik Pandya in a bcci.tv interview, thoroughly enjoying his good time.
“When you are out of the team, many people, friends keep asking you ‘why aren’t you in the team despite doing well?’ These things keep coming in the mind,” said the bowler who has 152 wickets in 41 first-class game at an impressive average of 25.25.
India Vs England Pink Ball Test: Key Stats, milestones created as India beat England by 10 wickets
“So, I told myself ‘just wait for the right time and whenever I get an opportunity I will give my 100 per cent’.”
Patel’s foray into cricket as a 15-year-old on the persuasion of a school friend had a solid backer in his grandmother, who wanted to see him play for India but passed away before he made it.
The lanky cricketer does not forget to acknowledge the role his family has played even though a spelling mistake by his father Rajeshbhai Patel at school had led to his name becoming Axar from Akshar.
“I give all credit to my family, friends and teammates who supported me in tough times,” he said.
Asked by Pandya if he finds Test cricket easy, Axar replied: “Everybody asked me that question. When it goes your way then you think it’s easy but when you miss a full toss, you actually realise how easy it is.”
India vs England: Axar Patel picks up second consecutive fifer in Pink Ball Test, claims unique feat
Patel said he would aim to continue in the same manner in front of his home crowd in the fourth and final Test against England, starting here on March 4.
“(The day-night Test) was my second Test and first in Motera. It’s a special feeling to play and perform before the home crowd. My efforts would be to do the same,” Patel said.
Towards the end of the light-hearted interview, India skipper Virat Kohli also made an appearance and appreciated Patel’s performance in Gujarati.
“Ae Bapu taari bowling kamaal chhe! (Bapu, your bowling is wonderful!),” Kohli said.
- India vs England: Driving home the advantage, and no other spin to it
- India vs England: It’s for ICC to decide whether Motera pitch is fit for purpose, not players: Joe Root
- India Vs England Pink Ball Test: Key Stats, milestones created as India beat England by 10 wickets
- India vs England: Former players feel Motera pitch not ideal for Test match, Gavaskar thinks otherwise
- India vs England, 3rd Test: We bowled beautifully on a pitch that assisted us, 400-man Ashwin
- WTC Final: England out of contention; India move to the top of the standings
- India vs England: Virat Kohli surpasses MS Dhoni to become most successful Test captain at home
- India vs England, 3rd Test: A bizarre match, admits Virat Kohli
- India vs England: List of Test matches which ended on Day 2
- India vs England, 3rd Test: Ashwin, Axar Patel show powers hosts 10-wicket win, 2-1 series lead
- India vs England: Axar Patel picks up second consecutive fifer in Pink Ball Test, claims unique feat
- India vs England, 3rd Test: Ashwin bags 400 Test wickets, becomes second fastest bowler in history to the mark
Get breaking news alerts.
You have already subscribed
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Sports headlines.
For all the latest Sports News Click Here
For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News