White Sox DH Yermin Mercedes Says ‘It’s Over’ in IG Post Hinting at Retirement
Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
Chicago White Sox slugger Yermin Mercedes appeared to announce his retirement Wednesday night, writing “it’s over” in an Instagram post while removing all photos and tags connected to the MLB club from his profile.
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan
In an Instagram post, Yermin Mercedes, an April sensation with the Chicago White Sox, says he’s stepping “away from baseball for a while … it’s over.” <br><br>Mercedes was sent to AAA earlier this month and had been playing well, hitting .309/.377/.655. <a href=”https://t.co/11P6EgpiKn”>pic.twitter.com/11P6EgpiKn</a>
Mercedes, 28, was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte on June 2 after struggling to rediscover the power that made him an instant fan favorite with the White Sox. The American League Rookie of the Month in April began the year slashing .415/.455/.659 with five home runs through 22 games, including eight straight hits to begin the season—the first player in MLB history to do so.
The journeyman minor league catcher spent nine years trying to make it to the majors. He finally got an opportunity with the White Sox in 2020, but he did not take an at-bat in his lone appearance. Instead, he had to wait for 2021 when a barrage of injuries led the Sox to start the season with Mercedes on the bench. He quickly became an early-season sensation before he began to struggle at the plate in May and June.
If his career is over, he ends this season with a .271 batting average and .732 OPS along with seven home runs and 37 RBI.
This article will be updated to provide more information on this story as it becomes available.
Get the best sports content from the web and social in the new B/R app. Get the app and get the game.
For all the latest Sports News Click Here