Is Studying VFX course in Mumbai, a Good Choice?
Watching movies like the Avenger series, Tintin, Jungle Book, Avataar, Matrix, etc., or playing games like PUBG, etc. not only leaves one in awe but also makes one inquisitive about the process that goes behind creating such impactful imagery. One often wonders how these characters are performing death-defying stunts or are interacting with aliens when we are yet to discover one in real life. All this is made possible through visual effects.
So what is a visual effect (VFX)?
VFX refers to digital effects that combine live-action footage with computer-generated graphics (CGI) to create an exaggerated yet realistic environment, characters, elements, action situations, etc. that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to create in real life.
What does VFX entail?
VFX is usually taken care of during the post-production however it is planned at the time of pre-production. The requisite shots are taken on a green screen during production. VFX team is responsible for:
- Creating high-quality visuals keeping the budget in mind.
- Conceptualization &Planning:
- Conceptualize, plan and design cutting-edge special effects and dynamic simulations such that the viewer believes in its reality.
- Planning each shot, frame
- Coordination, Collaboration & Organization:
- Work with producer, director, and lead artists to shoot the requisite frames and movements.
- Organizing, supervising, and managing the workflow from various departments
- Arrange for daily updates through meetings, emails, etc. to various departments and also following up on information as required
- Time management such that deadlines are met
- Handling client deliveries
- Managing edits along with the editorial department
What is the scope of VFX?
- India’s animation and VFX industry is estimated to grow and reach up to 129 billion rupees by 2023 from 53 billion rupees (approximately) in 2020.
- As per KPMG India, the estimated value of the online gaming segment is Rs 13,600 crore in FY21. It is projected to reach Rs 29,000 crore at a CAGR of 21 percent by FY25
- As per the media and entertainment industry report by Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), by 2025, the Indian animation and visual effects industry have the potential to capture 20-25% global market share from the current 10%.
- VFX and post-production industry across India was at 39 billion rupees in FY 2016 and it grew to 79 billion rupees in FY 2020. This is estimated to reach 147 billion rupees by the fiscal year 2024.
Immense job opportunities, as well as huge growth potential, make studying the VFX course in Mumbai a must.
Study VFX course in Mumbai
This industry presents a gamut of opportunities. Coupled with Mumbai, being the hub of the film industry in India, along with a large number of VFX studios, it offers a lucrative career for young students. While there are lots of colleges to study VFX courses in Mumbai, one should choose a course offering the following:
- Industry-centric and job-oriented curriculum.
- Certification from Media & Entertainment Skills Council (MESC) that is promoted by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI). Additionally, it should give access to international markets.
- Study VFX course in Mumbai from National as well as an Internationally accredited college.
- Competencies in the latest software and technologies
- Industry exposure through internships and masterclasses by industry experts/stalwarts
- Regular industry projects to help build a portfolio.
The bottom line is studying the VFX course in Mumbai is a lucrative option that should not miss out on.