HMRC confirms travel restrictions may alter how UK workers pay NI in the EU – full details


National Insurance contributions and other social security payments for UK workers can be affected by where they are based. For those who work in the EU, Norway or Switzerland, usually only one set of social security payments will be needed.

UK workers will usually only have to pay into one country’s social security system if they’re based in Europe.

This will usually be in the country where the work takes place.


However, where people work in certain occupations or are only working temporarily in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, they may be able to get a certificate or document from HMRC to continue paying NI in the UK.

This means they’ll not have to pay social security contributions abroad.

READ MORE: Pension: UK schemes may not generate ‘sufficient income’ for EU visas


Workers, or their employers, should apply for a certificate or document if they’re:

  • Going to work temporarily in the EU for up to two years
  • A multistate worker working in the UK and one or more EU countries
  • A civil servant working for the UK Government
  • Working onboard a vessel at sea, with a UK flag
  • Working as a flight or cabin crew member, where the home base is in the UK

Additionally, there are slightly different rules for those working in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Full details on these rules can be found on the Government’s website.


Where people think they’re eligible for a certificate or document, they should apply under the following parameters:

  • Your employer sends you to work temporarily in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland – form CA3822
  • You’re normally self-employed in the UK and you’re going to temporarily carry out some activities in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland – form CA3837
  • You’re working in two or more of the UK, EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland – form CA8421
  • You’re flight or cabin crew with a home base in the UK – form CA8421
  • You’re a UK civil servant or other government worker – form CA3822
  • You’re a UK resident who works on a vessel at sea with a UK flag or an EU, Norwegian, Icelandic or Swiss flag but you’re paid by someone based in the UK – form CA3822

HMRC details if a person needs to check if a change in their situation stops the existing social security rules from applying to them, they’ll need to send a letter to HMRC detailing what the circumstances were, what’s changes and when the changes occured.

These letters should be sent to: PT Operations North East England, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AN.


Following this, HMRC will let affected individuals know if more information is needed.

Impartial guidance on NI and other taxes can be sought from the likes of Citizens Advice and Money Helper.


Stay connected with us on social media platform for instant update click here to join our  Twitter, & Facebook

We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.

For all the latest Business News Click Here 


 For the latest news and updates, follow us on Google News

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! TechAzi is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More