The hotel that became home to a brewery
This building next to Watford Junction is now home to a pub but for many years it was a landmark hotel.
The Watford Observer is delighted to share pictures from the Watford Museum archive and this week we remember the Clarendon Hotel.
The museum’s volunteer archivist Christine Orchard: “A large three-storey building, named the Clarendon Hotel, was built in 1860 next to Watford’s newly moved railway station. There had been a Clarendon near to the first station close to the railway bridge on St Albans Road.
“As well as the usual accommodation and dining rooms, there was a billiards room, and according to an 1885 advert there were ‘tastefully arranged Gardens, adjoining the Railway Station’. A later advert mentioned that there was an opportunity to play tennis, presumably the tastefully arranged gardens were adapted.
“The hotel was later occupied by Benskins who had their head office here and also a pub named The Pennant which was the name of Benskins’ in-house magazine.”
We are now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@TechiUpdate) and stay updated with the latest Technology headlines.
For all the latest Health News Click Here